Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Foo Fighters Drummer Cake

This weekend I was challenged to make THREE cakes!  And I took this one on pretty late in the week.  However, I must say that it turned out quite nicely.

The recipient is a drummer in a local band and one of the Foo Fighter's biggest fans. So, his wife and I came up with a concept that would include both drums and the FF logo.  I found the logo online and created a template for myself.  I cut out a six inch circle of red fondant and drew the logo on with edible marker using my stencil to outline it, then filling it in.  Once on the cake, I added silver dragees to give it a better look. Although dragees are elegant, they're also pretty rock and roll too, I think.

I made the little drums out of krispy treats and then covered them with fondant. The sides of the drums are marbled fondant made by putting a few drops of black food coloring onto white fondant and not blending all the color in. I used edible marker to make accents on the drums.  I made tiny drumsticks out of tan fondant.

Surprisingly, this was my very first sheet cake. I've shied away from them, because I feel like they're more difficult to remove from the pan - being an awkward rectangular shape.  I know that they probably seem like the easiest cake there is, but I was intimidated.  And, although the cake came out like a dream (thanks to Baker's Joy which IS truly a joy) icing the corners of a sheet cake is a pain! A MAJOR pain!  I had so much trouble with it, it drove me insane.  Will have to work on that some more.

Will post the other two cakes soon!

Here are the results:








No comments:

Post a Comment