Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Princess Cake

My most challenging cake yet was the princess cake I made this weekend.  It was for my second cousin who was having her 3rd birthday.

The cake was a two tier creation, all in purple, pink and white. Since my cousin wanted fondant and gumpaste elements, I had to being working a week in advance.  Actually, I began on Monday night and that gave me plenty of time to complete things.  On Monday night, I created the gumpaste  bow, which turned out pretty well.  I used a mixture of white gumpaste (I bought the mix) and very hot pink Satin Ice fondant.  The blend made it a nice color -a bubblegum pink.

The next night I constructed the crown.  I read on a website to make two, just in case one breaks, so I made two.  Luckily, the first one never broke. This photo was taken after the crowns were dry enough to remove their "stablizers" which turned out to be a vase for one and a can of bread crumbs covered in wax paper for the other.  I greased both of these well with shortening before wrapping the crowns around to dry.  That way they slipped off easily.  The bow is also here as well.  I stuffed it with tissue to help it keep it's shape while drying.






















I made other elements out of gumpaste and fondant - including small crowns, fondant balls for a border, stars and a scepter for the topper.  I painted all of it with a mixture of luster dust and vodka and let it dry for a few days.

I also made a nameplate for the front of the bottom tier.  This was a slight challenge because since it was going on a curved cake, I'd have to dry it on a curve.  I searched the house looking for something (other than the cake pans) that measured 9 inches around.  Luckily, a tin of popcorn my son had worked perfectly.  I covered it in wax paper and laid the nameplate on to dry. The name and decoration was done in edible marker.






















The cake was just three 9-inch rounds for the bottom and two 6-inch rounds for the top.  All was iced in a violet purple frosting.  I put all decoration on each layer (minus the crown and scepter) and boxed them up.  I would wait to assemble them until the party.

On a whim, I decided to make a figure of the birthday girl.  This was my first attempt at figure making, but I'm quite pleased with the results.  Unfortunately, as soon as I finished the figure, I realized there was no place for her on the cake anywhere -not the board, the top or the sides.  So, I figured I would have to make a mini-cake for the birthday girl where I could put her little figure.  After speaking with her grandmother, I learned that she's quite obsessed with their dachshund Missy, so I added a dachshund figure that would stand on the board and "beg" for cake.

Here is the result:






























And finally, the Princess Cake.  Assembly was quick.  The crown went on perfectly, but - the bow was a bit big.  This was my first bow attempt, so now I know that I don't need a bow with loops quite as wide for a cake like this.  Oh well - it still turned out okay I think.

Other elements on this cake are edible pearls for the crown points that I found at Ross Dress for Less of all places!  I love these pearls and have used them over and over.  I have them in about 6 colors.

Overall, it turned out very well and my customers were pleased.




No comments:

Post a Comment